The battery of an electric Lyft bike appeared to catch fire on Wednesday in the Lower Haight.
Moreover, a second San Francisco Lyft e-bike — including its battery —appears to have caught fire for an unknown cause on Saturday.
In response, Lyft started making its thousand e-bikes San Francisco “unavailable to riders” Wednesday afternoon. Riders gained to be able to rent certainly one of these e-bikes through cellphone app till Lyft believes them safe to ride.
Shortly after the incident was announced, San Francisco lawmakers called on Lyft to be clear concerning the event and to take them off the road till they’re confirmed safe.
“Biking alone might be hard and unsafe, the very last thing you need is a flaming bike as you’re using down the road,” stated Supervisor Vallie Brown, who represents the neighborhood where an e-bike caught fire on Wednesday. Brown found the incident “really disturbing” as a result of she has publicly supported the Lyft e-bikes as an alternative choice to driving.
Supervisor Matt Haney, who represents the South of Market neighborhood where another e-bike caught fire, mentioned the incident is “Actually bad, and scary. These definitely should be taken offline till they work out what went wrong.”
The e-bike that caught fire on Wednesday was docked close to Page and Scott streets at around noon when a witness who asked to remain anonymous saw flames coming from the battery.
And another e-bike, also operated by Lyft, apparently caught fire on Saturday at Folsom and Second Streets.