Summer often means mosquitoes are out in full force. However, these biting insects aren’t simply an annoyance — in some circumstances, they are often harmful.
A mosquito-borne virus that causes brain swelling and will be deadly in people was detected in Florida, based on the Florida Department of Health in Orange County.
After being bitten by a contaminated mosquito, it takes four to 10 days to develop signs of the Eastern equine encephalitis virus, based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In extreme cases involving brain inflammation, signs begin with the sudden onset of headache, high fever, chills, and vomiting. The infection can then progress, causing disorientation, seizures, and coma.
About 30 p.c of people that turn out to be contaminated with the virus die and lots of survivors are left with chronic neurological issues from mild to extreme brain damage, based on the CDC.
Though infection is extraordinarily rare (in America, an average of just seven human cases of Eastern equine encephalitis are reported annually) for individuals who are bitten by a contaminated mosquito, there are no specific treatment options. Antibiotics are usually not efficient against the virus, based on the CDC, and as of yet, there aren’t any effective antiviral medicine to fight the illness.
Significantly in case, you stay in Florida, together with Massachusetts, New York, or North Carolina where most cases have been reported.