A man is “fighting for his life” due to a flesh-eating bacteria an infection he contracted throughout a weekend kayaking trip — according to his spouse, who shared ugly photographs on social media to warn others in regards to the uncommon disease.
Ricky Rutherford and his spouse, Cassey, of Waterloo — along with their family and friends — went kayaking at Second Creek on July 6, WAFF 48 reported.
Two days later, Ricky went to work and came home with a 103-degree temperature and cramping in his legs, based on the station. He works in a warehouse, so he assumed he was simply feeling the effects of working on his feet in the warmth, the outlet reported.
So he returned to work the following day — however, may hardly stroll at all when he got home.
“When he undressed he discovered his leg was red and swollen,” Cassey posted to Facebook. “We instantly went to the ER last evening they usually informed us it was cellulitis possibly contracted from our kayaking trip on Saturday and treated him with IV antibiotics and despatched him home with two more. They informed him if there was any change to come back.”
However, issues only got worse the next morning — with Ricky running a 105 fever, his spouse stated. So the couple rushed again to the emergency room. That’s when doctors suspected it was flesh-eating bacteria and ran some tests.
Ricky went into surgical procedure on Friday, and doctors cleaned out a 5-by-6-inch chunk of his leg, Cassey mentioned.